Invitation to Participate
PROCEDURES AND CRITERION FOR OBTAINING GEOHAB ENDORSEMENT OF RESEARCH ACTIVITIES
Scientists are invited to participate in GEOHAB by designing research studies in keeping with the goals and objectives of GEOHAB, by applying for endorsement of such research, and by participating in framework activities.
The GEOHAB SSC may endorse already funded projects, project proposals before these are submitted for funding, or even letters of intent. The primary criterion for endorsement is applicability to any of the GEOHAB Core Research Projects, Targeted Research Activities, Regional/National Research, or Framework Activities as described in the GEOHAB Implementation Plan.
GEOHAB SSC members will have a period of seven working days to comment on the application. The GEOHAB chair (or vice-chair if the chair is unavailable) will then assess the comments and make a decision about endorsement. The applicant will be notified no later than fourteen days after submission of the request. Notification will be in the form of an official letter on GEOHAB stationary, sent via email and followed up with original signed hard copy.
Individuals and research teams that participate in international GEOHAB will receive a number of benefits from their association with GEOHAB. These benefits include:
- Assistance in project development, adoption of protocols, data management and co-ordination of modelling activities, contribution to and participation in appropriate framework activities.
- GEOHAB will convene a series of Open Science Meetings for the purpose of providing opportunities for scientists from every nation to participate in planning comparative research worldwide on ecosystems subject to HABs.
- Establishment of close working links with other relevant international programmes and related projects.
- Wide dissemination of project information through newsletters, Web sites and other communication mechanisms.
- Improved understanding of processes in local areas through comparisons with other ecosystems and through acquisition and application of data and models obtained with common protocols and methodologies.
- Supply links to data or meta data as available
- Communication of project progress with the GEOHAB SSC and IPO for inclusion in the newsletters, Web sites and other communication mechanisms.
- Acknowledgement of endorsement by GEOHAB in scientific publications, and provision of copies of scientific publications to the IPO for listing as GEOHAB Programme outputs.